How will you introduce yourself as the new leader? You have a wonderful window of opportunity to set out your vision, purpose & expectations all round in your own authentic way.
The uncomfortable truth is that, yes, people are judging you. They may be excited, or they may be worried. Either way, they want to know where you are coming from personally and where they fit in. It’s only human.
In this type of coaching, our clients want to think through what they want to do and what type of Leadership Presence they need to have to be authentic but also to be useful in their culture. What do they need to dial up or down? A big part of the ‘introducing yourself’ coaching brief is also how to communicate well at that first key ‘kick off’ meeting. It’s good to have a focus.
Here are 6 questions which we find help our clients introduce themselves as a leader. If you or a colleague would like Leadership Coaching or Leadership Presence coaching to tackle your leadership introduction, please do contact us to find out more.
- What are your initial goals and strategy? – who and what is important to focus on first and how, when to fact find and listen, when to have a view. You don’t have to have the whole business strategy sorted, this is about you and direction!
- What are your own top 5 personal values? – identify stories that bring them to life for your people. (Be honest with yourself where you might over-use or under-use some of them) This will help your team have an idea of how to work with you.
- What do you want to say ? – your people will welcome knowing what they can expect of you and what you expect from them. The question is, how to do this in an inspiring and genuine way. So, you’ll learn to analyse the audience and develop your message and a communications piece that suits
- Do you need to adapt your Leadership Presence for this role? – You are excellent at what you do and your values are strong. This is your inner world. As a leader you must find a way to live it and express it to the outer world – your team and your customers. You can’t keep it secret! There are 4 styles of strong leadership presence we’ve identified so far – you will find yours. We’ll give you an honest answer on where you are and where you need to develop.
- How are you thinking about yourself or the situation in this new role? – let’s face it, most of us have doubts and blocks. It’s useful to take time to think, rethink them and develop strategies and skills to be resilient in the tough situations like the live group 360s.
- How will you physically communicate? – your physical presence (mindset, voice, body language, energy, engagement, humour) will really help you or hinder. We’ll coach you to find your own authentic style which will engage your team and rehearse for that event.
KineticFuture works with CEOs, Finance Directors, Medics, MSLs, Legal & Regulatory, Marketing and Strategic sales leaders at companies including GSK, Abbvie, Novartis, MSD, Amgen, Gilead, Mars, Pladis, Reckitt Benckiser. It was founded by Karen Moyse in 2000 and has a repeat assignment rate of 100%. Karen Moyse is a Time to Think™ leadership coach and a communications expert having spent 20 years as CEO and MD at one of the world’s largest communications consultancies.