It’s Anti-Bullying Week this week. Workplace bullies generally pick on those with status below or equivalent to themselves. And just because you are senior doesn’t mean you’re immune.
So we thought we’d share with you some fast tips on how to deal with workplace bullies.
How do you deal with people who try to squash your status and confidence? The kind of people who try to make you feel insignificant, junior or unimportant. Let’s face it, they do exist.
Here are 5 physical tips to remember:
- Bear in mind that people who behave this way are often insecure. Genuinely confident, high status people do not need to put other people down. Quite the opposite. Feel sorry for them.
- Check that the ‘confidence and status level’ you are communicating is high enough. Do a body and attitude check. Are you behaving like someone who expects to be picked on? Bullies smell fear.
- Come in with high confidence and status and stay there despite what the ‘status squasher’ tries. Just stay relaxed and avoid the temptation to try too hard or to justify yourself. Bullies prey on your desire to fit in, be perfect, be liked etc.
- Keep your eye contact strong, maintain an open body language, stay engaged and interested in the meeting and put your point of view clearly. Don’t rush, do use pauses and questions and make sure your voice doesn’t become high or breathless. Wear clothes that communicate your seniority and influence.
- Be prepared. Go in knowing your facts and knowing what you want to communicate. If you don’t know the answer to questions, don’t bull****; say you don’t know and you’ll find out.
Find out more about KineticFuture’s executive presence courses and one to one coaching. And why we have a 100% repeat assignment rate.
Find out more about the Anti-Bullying Alliance who organise the Anti-Bullying week ‘Choose Respect’ here.
Happy Halloween! Today’s book club recommendation helps you overcome fears and boost your resilience. There are no remedies for ghouls in your garden, but great tips you can apply to work and home. We like them so much we’ve incorporated them in our executive presence, presenting and resilience courses. Enjoy!
Today’s book ‘The Resilience Factor’ is recommended by our colleague Jan Stannard, Positive Leadership, who is a top resilience coach. Jan trained with the author Karen Reivich, PhD and her colleague Martin Seligman as part of her work with Wellington College. The book is based on strong research from psychology and neuroscience. Critically, it’s very practical for work and home. With “7 keys to finding your inner strength and overcoming life’s hurdles”.
Buy ‘The Resilience Factor’ on Amazon.
Have a look and let us know what works for you.
On our Executive Presence course you’ll learn to balance warmth and authority at work, how to be open and show vulnerability yet have people know you mean business. And how to do all this your own way, in your own style with your own values. It’s a tightrope worth walking. Contact us on +44 (0)1628 624312 to find out more.
Do let us know your favourite books so that we can add them to the KineticFuture book club reading list.
By the way, you can easily find all our book club recommendations by just searching for ‘book club’ in our tips.
I’m finally back from Canada and buzzing with the huge success of seeing grizzly bears and orcas. What an amazing experience!
It’s great to go away but also good to get back to work with fresh vigour. Today we’re formally and proudly launching our new brand identity, proposition and services. It’s all in response to the challenges you told us were most pressing right now.
We’re now 100% focussed on our area of deepest expertise – coaching leaders to be highly skilful communicators.
Our team’s purpose is to be ‘Rocket Fuel For Your Talent’.
Among many things, you told us:
- Confidence is still a big issue. You want to flex your communications style for impact
- You’re not sure how to have executive presence and authority in today’s global business world. Executive presence supersedes gravitas
- Women dislike the word power and want new, authentic ways to get important work done
- You want to make work fun, enjoyable and encourage innovation.
Our response to this new world order is:
- Personalised coaching is what you want – in groups or 1-2-1
- Use solid research of what works in real life today
- Give you tools to think independently and coach others
- Everything starts with a communications strategy, or you’re dead
- Blend coaching specialists from communications, theatre, psychology, neuroscience, storytelling and industry sectors
Have a look at our new proposition, the tips function and case studies.
Are we missing anything? We love to keep learning and developing and know you do too.
Drop us an email or give us a ring if you want to talk about coaching which adds Rocket Fuel For Your Talent (or if you’d like to know more about seeing bears and orcas in Canada!)
Conference season is upon us so I thought I’d share with you our first vlog series with plenty of quick coaching tips on how to be a highly skilful communicator.
It’s called ‘Manage Your Tell’ – the behaviour that tells people you are under pressure and undermines your position.
Our aim is to help you find your tell and give you tips to sort it in this 6 part series.
Watch the box set so far by following the links below:
- Manage your tell
- Be Big
- Soft Eyes
- Star Wars Tip
If you would like to receive the last two in the series and haven’t already signed up just let me know, we’re happy to share our coaching expertise with you.
Or call us if you’d like to be coached to develop your own confidence, gravitas or executive presence. We develop practical programmes to suit you.
Our strength is coaching leaders to become highly skilful communicators. So you can solve tricky business challenges. And ignite your full personal potential. Contact us on +44 (0)1628 624312 to find out more.
Even the most successful people in business lack confidence sometimes. They are just better at dealing with the situation.
So here are 7 Quick Confidence Boosters you can apply to meetings, presentations or just to help you rise to a new challenge.
- Remind yourself what you offer the other people. Why were you chosen for this job? Write it down and think of specific proof points. Now is the time to get over yourself and start helping others.
- Talk to others as a human to human. Stop trying to be impressive. It’s ease which gives you the presence and status. It’s also a truly liberating approach (even the Dalai Lama uses this one!)
- Connect to your purpose or what’s important to you. When you do this you will be an authentic and powerful communicator. People will know you are genuine and more likely to support you. Focus on your ‘why’.
- Breathe – in and out naturally.
- Prepare solidly – accept the worst case scenario, don’t fight it or dwell on it but do have a plan. Focus on the opportunity.
- Dump the PowerPoint slides if you can – instead have a two way conversation.
- I would say this wouldn’t I! But if you have real confidence challenges, organise some 1-2-1 coaching. It makes a massive difference.
I hope this helps. See more blogs and vlogs at www.kineticfuture.com/tips/
KineticFuture offers executive coaching and communications coaching. We specialise in helping leaders ignite their people around purpose. Contact us on +44 (0)1628 624312 to find out more.