Are you crystal clear on your own personal values? Or are you relying on words that resemble something you’ve been told to be? Can you name just two values which are at your core? And can you say, hand on heart, that you really live them? This knowledge gives you the resilience, integrity and purpose you need to lead.
Here, I’ve given you some quick tips on how to get going on this. And, if you’d like personal coaching to think about your values, vision or personal brand do drop me a line and we can talk about it. The Time To Think™ coaching approach I use is very different and highly energising.
Quick Tips To Start
Some of the best practical worksheets on values are in Brené Brown’s Dare To Lead book – pages 190-197. So do buy the book. In the meantime, here are a few of her suggestions.
- Find a long list of values on-line (e.g. legacy, fairness, curiosity). These values will be the same for work or home if they are to be powerful. Sit down quietly. Take your time to really think about each one. Now whittle them down to two values. Others will be important but these two will be your ‘red line’ areas that you will not compromise on and drive the others. Be prepared to feel uncomfortable prioritising these over others.
- Take each value – write down:
- What are three behaviours that support your value?
- What are three slippery behaviours that are outside your value?
- What’s an example of a time when you were fully living into this value?
KineticFuture can coach you to be a world-class communicator and leader. Coaching 1-2-1 and in groups. Clients include Abbvie, Amgen, Gilead, GSK, Novartis, Mars, Pladis, WPP and Barclays. We have six main areas of work: Time to Think™ coaching, executive presence, presenting and storytelling, tricky conversations, resilience and communicating purpose.
Contact us today to book a course or to find out more.