You can manage your nerves by flipping how you think about that presentation or important meeting.
The idea is create some perspective, inject some realism and challenge your own thinking. Ironically, if you are more relaxed and less desperate for the outcome you are more likely to get what you want and you’ll certainly enjoy the experience more.
Try one of these reframes for some common angsts or invent your own.
- I’m excited v I’m nervous
- They want me to succeed v I’m being judged
- I can really help these guys v I must succeed and impress
- I will find another opportunity v I can’t fail
- I can advise but it’s their choice v they must do this
- They would be lucky to get me v I must get the role
What do you do to overcome nerves and do a great job when you are under pressure? We’d love to hear from you.