Authenticity beats perfection every time when you’re presenting.
Have a look at this great presentation by comedian Ruby Wax on Ted.com talking about mental health issues and your brain. There are a number of reasons this is a great presentation for me, including:
1. The talk clearly means a great deal to her as she’s suffered from depression herself. Ask yourself how we know it genuinely matters to her?
2. She uses an excellent opener which involves the audience in an amusing and personal way. It nails the key message and the big theme for the presentation
3. She makes a complex subject simple
4. Her white coat, homemade brain and signs were great fun and much more engaging than if she’d just used formal diagrams
5. Her pace, emphasis and vocal energy are just what you’d expect from a talented comedian and writer
Essentially, a wonderful presentation by Ruby – there are lots of ideas here you could adapt for your own presentations, give it a go!